THE ONE AND ONLY CP3

So many people want to speak on behalf of Chris Paul these days, that when the idea was hatched to put him on the cover of Dime for the third time since he burst onto the NBA scene in 2005, we decided to let CP3 tell his own story. After his Hornets started the season 4-0, the best point guard in the world penned this story…

WORDS. CHRIS PAUL, Dime, Dcember 2010/January 2011


What up, world! Here I write from “The Big Easy.” That’s right: New Orleans. I’ve been back for a while now, getting better each day to make this season one of our best. Dime has given me an amazing opportunity to write my own cover story. Can you believe it? Well, let me get to it before they take the offer back.

All summer long, I thought about how I was injured last year and couldn’t help my team on the court. Being hurt, missing the playoffs, not being able to play, it was one of the most difficult experiences of my career. I don’t want to go through that ever again. Thinking about that pushed me through my training. It motivated me. Now I’m back.

It was an interesting summer to say the least. I’m bouncing back from a knee injury and was training most of the summer in D.C. to get back into form. I went hard in the gym six days a week, 4-5 hours a day, doing a lot of stretching, strengthening and always working on my ball-handling skills – which I take great pride in. When I wasn’t in D.C., I was in North Carolina, lifting weights for two and a half hours a day and riding my bike around the neighborhood. I try to bring something new to my game every offseason, something I got from MJ. This summer I wanted to make my crossover quicker, and I think I did that.

Back in August, I traveled to New York City for the World Basketball Festival, where I got a chance to join my Jordan Brand family – ’Melo, D-Wade and the big man himself, MJ – at the Jordan Breakfast Club in congratulating and playing with a really cool and deserving group of kids at Harlem’s Rucker Park.

Being a Team Jordan athlete means a lot because family means so much to me. (Side note: I just took my baby boy to his first day of school; such a proud moment for me.) The night before the Breakfast Club, I got together with D-Wade, ’Melo and MJ and we were able to have a good time and mess around. It’s a rare occasion when we all get together, so we like to take advantage of it when the time actually comes. We caught the Team USA scrimmage at Radio City Music Hall, watched Jay-Z in concert, and then headed to Avenue to chill out for a while.

While in NYC, I was so glad to have checked in on my good friend Lil Wayne at Rikers Island. While I was there, he told me how he had been following all the trades, free agent signings and rumors surrounding the League. He couldn’t stop talking about what was going on in Miami (because he lives down there). I’m sure it’s been pretty tough for him being away. You have to understand that in life things happen, and at the end of the day, all that you have is friends and family. Wayne has always been a great friend to me and I’ll continue to be the same to him.

After WBF, I went to my hometown for my fifth annual Winston-Salem Weekend, where I hold events to raise money for local charities through my CP3 Foundation. While I love my hometown, I love New Orleans just as much. Hands down, this is a town like no other. We’ve been through a lot. There is camaraderie among the locals that no one realizes unless you experience it firsthand. My foundation also gives back to NOLA too. We refurbish basketball courts in underprivileged neighborhoods, and every year we have Thanksgiving and Christmas events to help provide for families in need. Anyone that wants to join us this year, just hit me on Twitter.

Not being able to play last year was tough, but you have to look at everything in a positive light. I’ve always felt that you should lead by example, and that in order to be a great leader, you have to be willing to follow. But while I was hurt last year, I was able to take my leadership on the team to another level and become more of a vocal mentor and a big brother to a couple of my teammates. I took what I learned from the court and applied it to the sidelines. There was never a time in the season where I got down about not being able to play – that comes from everything my parents have taught me. They used to always tell me that everything happens for a reason. Whether good or bad, whatever happens is in God’s plan.

I tell my teammates all of the time, “No one is better than the team,” and I truly believe that. I hope my teammates didn’t mind me yelling too much from the sidelines! I’m just an intense competitor, whether I’m playing or not. So here I am, in my sixth NBA season with a new perspective and an even greater desire to win and be the best. My goal is winning a championship, and I’m more humbled and hungrier than ever before.

Growing up, I got that hunger from playing against my older brother C.J. We had a full court in our backyard, and we used to go at it every day. Being younger and smaller than C.J., I had to be tough if I wanted to beat him. I had to be competitive and persistent. From that, I learned that you only get out of something what you put into it. The same goes for winning at the NBA level. If my team is going to win, we have to put the work in. And as the leader, I have to work the hardest and set the tone. One of the best leaders I’ve ever met is Kevin Garnett. His work ethic is the kind of work ethic a leader should have.

I see my teammates as my brothers, only we’re not going 1-on-1 in the backyard, we’re forming together for a common goal. We have to be close and trust each other, understanding that if we win, we all win. I usually get close to people quickly, and spending so much time around the guys on my team, we develop a bond almost right away. As a point guard, I have to keep everybody on the same page and involved on the court, but even off the court, I want them to know they can trust me with anything.

In the Bible it says, “To whom much is given, much is required.” I have been blessed throughout my journey, so I know much is required of me. That is why I have high expectations for myself and I’m so hard on myself.

But it’s not all about me. I know that from growing up in the church and having strong beliefs rooted in an early age that keep me grounded. Every Sunday when I’m not in practice or playing a game, I go to church with my family. I’m a momma’s boy. I love my family and my boys from Winston-Salem, who are like family. I fly them down to NOLA all the time. I have some “celebrity” friends, but I mostly just hang out with my teammates and my friends from home. The biggest thing was the birth of my son; he’s made me completely selfless. I no longer live for myself. He makes me appreciate life more and more every day.

I’ve already been in the NBA for five years. I’m starting to see how quickly the years go by, so I’m really trying to seize the moment. Not being able to play last year made me realize nothing in this game – not even the next game – is guaranteed. Somebody once asked me what I want my legacy to be: I’m not sure yet. I want to be known as a winner on the court, and off the court, just a humble, regular person living their dream. I try not to compare myself to any other players, because I can only be the best I can be. And hopefully, that will be enough to achieve my goals and win a championship.

Gearing up for the season in New Orleans, I shot my first solo commercial with Jordan Brand to promote my newest shoe, the JORDAN CP3.IV. The theme of the ad is “Quick Can’t Be Caught.” While I might not be the tallest or most athletic on the court, I use my quickness to get an extra step on my defenders and the shoes definitely help! Having my own basketball shoe is a huge honor for me, something I dreamed about when I was little. I’m obsessed with basketball, so I love being a part of the design process from the beginning to the end.

I’ve got a great relationship with Jason Mayden, the designer of the shoe, and we work closely to make all of the JORDAN CP shoes the best they can be. Jason always says that I remind him of a motorcycle amongst cars. That’s where the quickness comes in. My style on the court is fast and up-tempo, but always under control.

This season all my teammates have been really great. We all understand that we can’t win on talent alone. Every night we have to go out with a defensive mindset and know that if we play hard and play together, we control our own destiny. It’s been especially nice to have Trevor Ariza as a teammate because he has championship experience and he has an unbelievable desire to win. And it’s always good to be back on the court with David West, who’s the only guy that’s been on my team every year since my rookie season.

I was anxious for the season to start and I’ve got a lot of people that are counting on me to come back better than before. I always want to perform my best for all of my fans out there and I can be pretty hard on myself. But what’s really driving me these days is my son. It’s really gratifying to play in the NBA, but the best part is looking forward to seeing my family and my son after the games. He’s my inspiration and I work hard every day to provide the best life for him. So this season’s for you, Lil Man! Let’s get it!

Commenti

Post popolari in questo blog

PATRIZIA, OTTO ANNI, SEQUESTRATA

Allen "Skip" Wise - The greatest who never made it

Chi sono Augusto e Giorgio Perfetti, i fratelli nella Top 10 dei più ricchi d’Italia?