Frank: Taiwo so keen to make a big impact
Taiwo Awoniyi’s Premier League know-how
will be a big asset to the Sky Blues
"When we looked across our recruitment idea,
we wanted to bring in some Premier League experience."
- Frank Lampard
21 Aug 2026 - Coventry Telegraph
By BRIAN DICK
FRANK Lampard insists Coventry City did their due diligence on striker Taiwo Awoniyi ahead of his £9 million transfer from Nottingham Forest.
The 29-year-old made the short trip across the Midlands earlier this week and brought an end to a four-season career with the Reds.
In the last two campaigns he made just six Premier League starts, with Chris Wood’s renaissance and his own fitness struggles not helping on that front.
But Lampard says he hopes to capitalise on the Nigerian’s desire to make an impact:
“We have done that absolutely, and I’m not concerned about it,” he said.
“I think sometimes where we are, we’re trying to bring in players in the Premier League, there’s a reason why Taiwo leaves Nottingham Forest to come to us.
“We really like him and we hope he’s going to be great for us, but we’re aware of that.
“I flip that to more the mental side of Taiwo that’s probably frustrated with game time. I like a player that comes in hungry to play and get his minutes.
“Of course medically we have to look after him and prepare him, but I like a player that’s coming in wanting to be the man and wanting to play more minutes, so that’s great.”
Awoniyi is joined in the Sky Blues squad by fellow striker Sidiki Cherif, who has joined on a long-term deal from Fenerbahce and who will provide back-up for and competition upfront.
Lampard explained the club’s thinking: “In terms of Taiwo, we know him from his Premier League experience and what he’s done at Nottingham Forest.
“He’s scored against my team before when I was at Chelsea and I always felt that he was a threat as an opponent.
“When we looked across our recruitment idea, we wanted to bring in some Premier League experience. It’s not necessary everywhere, but it’s good to have it within the squad.
“So power, strength, a player that can hold the ball up, can run behind are things in the Premier League I think are very, very valuable.
“I think with Sidi he’ll be different to Taiwo, but again [he’s got] the ability to be able to run behind.
“It’s a young positive move from us as a club because we like to try and develop players.
“It’s been the model here for previous years – but now we’re in the Premier League so those models cost a lot more money.
“But if we can work with him to improve him he also brings his own attributes and I never like to just single out that area of the pitch because in the Premier League everything’s important that you get it right, hence where we’ve gone through the spine of the team a little bit to try and help the squad.
“But if you haven’t got that threat, if I haven’t got those options which every Premier League teams need at the front of the pitch, it’s hard to maintain a threat, so hopefully those boys help with that.”
Commenti
Posta un commento