Strachan: King will do it the right way


21 Aug 2026
Coventry Telegraph

GORDON Strachan has backed Doug King not to jeopardise Coventry City’s long-term future for their short-term shot at the Premier League.

The Sky Blues return to top flight action for the first time in 25 years tonight, when they face champions Arsenal at the Emirates Stadium

The game will be their first among English football’s elite since the 0-0 draw with Bradford City at Highfield Road in May 2001.

Strachan oversaw that match, albeit he was gone four months later surely never suspecting the trauma the club would go through over the next quarter century.

As City stand on the brink of their long-awaited return the 69-year-old believes King will be mindful of just how bad things got - and making sure the club does not repeat the mistakes made at the other end of the M69.

“Once again, it’s about looking after the club,” Strachan told Betway. “If you’re the owner of the club, you will have Northampton, Birmingham, travelling to play home games in the back of your head, and that’s why Coventry fans are okay.

“They understand that you can’t go over the top, not just of transfer fees but wages as well. If you go overboard, that when you put your club at risk.

“Every Coventry fan I’ve met, they’re happy to let the club decide what they’re going to do. They understand they can’t spend 200 or 300 million, it’s too much of a risk.

“You’ve seen it before, ask the people at Leicester. Could they see this coming ten years ago? That’s what happens if it’s mismanaged.”

So far City have added seven players to Frank Lampard’s squad. With loans for Carl Rushworth and Frank Onyeka made permanent and new arrivals with Aurele Amenda in defence, Caleb Yirenkyi in midfield and Loum Tchaouna, Taiwo Awoniyi and Sidiki Cherif all bolstering the attack.

The Sky Blues have comfortably spent more than £100million and are throwing themselves at their return, recognising how much it means to the city.

“It’s amazing what football can do to a community and I’ve got to say, the Coventry fans that have stuck by them when travelling to Birmingham and Northampton, I really am delighted for them,” Strachan continued. “Unfortunately, I don’t go to see many games because I love to go and watch. It was alright when I worked on TV and the radio, where you get transported right to the game and you don’t worry about traffic and cars, but maybe it’s because I’ve been spoiled for so long and I find it difficult to get through crowds or leave early.

“As for Lampard, he’s an intelligent boy, he likes people and he’s been a credit to the game as a player and as a manager. He’s had a few knock-backs and character-building moments in his football and management career.

“I don’t know him that well, but he looks like he’s learned a lot in different moments and that’s allowed him to be the manager he is now.

“But I think we all agree that it was a two-pronged attack between Mark Robins and Frank Lampard to help Coventry get back. I think that the Coventry fans would congratulate them both for a wonderful job.”

Commenti

Post popolari in questo blog

'SONO LORO I MIEI CARCERIERI SEI ANNI FA RAPIRONO ANCHE ME'

I 100 cattivi del calcio

Top 8 Argentinians Who Made It to the NBA